Wednesday, October 28, 2009

You Never Know Who You Will Meet Via Craigslist

Recently, I saw this dining table and chairs advertised for sale on my local Craigslist.  I thought it might work for the breakfast room at the house in Hooterville so I contacted the seller and asked to come see it.

craigslist 

Interestingly, the seller lives only minutes from me.  And even more interesting…she is a real estate stager/interior designer.   She gave me a tour of her home and it is cottage cute!  Just my style.
As it turned out, her table was much  too big for my breakfast room but in the course of our conversation, I told her how overwhelmed I have been with all the decorating decisions I need to make at the house in Hooterville and  I asked her if she would be willing to  help me with some decisions.  She said she would be glad to and she even offered to give me a very affordable discounted hourly rate. 
She wanted me to email her some photos of my current house, the new house, inspiration photos of rooms or furniture, and a list of things I liked and didn’t like with regard to decorating.  Once she saw the pictures of my current decorating style, she said she was really excited to work on this project with me because our tastes are so similar.
Today, she and her business partner drove all the way over to the new house and we spent three hours walking through each room,  talking about flooring options, the furniture I’m bringing with me from my current house, furniture pieces I need to buy, placement of furniture,  etc.     Overall, their ideas for the house are almost identical to what I had envisioned. 
They did suggest  some interesting paint colors that I would not have selected on my own.   However, they pointed out the new house does not get a lot of natural light so my choices in paint need to be different than what I would use in my current home, which is flooded with natural light, especially in the afternoons.
I think I’m going to step outside my comfort zone and try these colors  anyway because, after all, it’s just paint. 
Having her as a resource has really taken some of the stress of decision-making off of me.  What would be the chances that  I would answer an ad on Craigslist and end up meeting a decorator who shares my love of cottage style?  I think she was heaven sent.

12 comments:

Mary said...

Shari, how wonderful! I'm so happy that you met her, and that she understands what you want for your new home...it will be sooo much easier for you to have some help, and professional help, at that. I am curious, though, about the colors she suggested to lighten the rooms...want to share, or are you making us all wait? If so, I completely understand...there is going to be a grand reveal down the road, and it will be beautiful!

Hope things are moving along with packing and prep work in the new house. Looking forward to more photos. I'm still so happy for you!

God bless you, Shari!

Mary

Cindy said...

What a great story! I love her choice of colors in her dining room! haha...it looks just like mine!

Anita@Theycallmejammi said...

Can't wait to see the combined results as you take us along on your Hooterville journey.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a thrill for you. It sounds like you found an angel in disguise. I can't wait to see what all was suggested and what you decide to do. Hugs, Marty

Cindy said...

Oh Shari, How wonderful for you!! I'm like you, I know what I like, but I second guess myself so much. How wonderful to find someone who understands your style and love for cottage. Your new home is going to be so gorgeous! I can't wait to see it all happen for you. Hugs, Cindy S.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shari! Sorry the dining set wouldn't fit in your breakfast room. How nice to meet the lady and that she helped you with some colors! sometimes two heads are better than one.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Pink Roses and Teacups said...

Shari,

she does sound like she was Heaven sent. I'm sure it will all come together wonderful! Can't wait to hear what colors she decides on.

Debbie

Sandra said...

Wow, what a blessing. :) The table is just beautiful too.
Have a wonderful day.
Sandra

Anonymous said...

Sounds like someone is watching over you. I can't wait to see the progress. You've got the best decorating taste. I'm curious - are you going to attack one room at a time, or do a little in each room until all are how you want them?

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

How wonderful to have a professional offer advice!

You asked about my dining set. I bought it at an antique store, though it is not antique. There are no markings or names on the table. I do know that Pierre Deux has a similar one.
Hugs,
Penny

Connie said...

Dear Shari,
It was meant to be. I imagine a great big weight has been lifted from your shoulders. Now, relax and have fun. The wonderful journey begins - enjoy it to the fullest.
Hugs,
Connie

cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com said...

Hi again Sheri. This is so awesome.
Finding someone that understands your style and can take it further is exactly what will help. The tip about the paint and the light you'll really appreciate onces it's on the wall. What are the colors?

I want so badly to have a cottage feel. My home is quit contempory, inside and out. I feel like I have to begin with a new house.

cindy@stitches