Sunday, August 9, 2009

Furniture Facelift With Bead Board Wallpaper

A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned I was working on a project that involved bead board wallpaper and new drawer pulls.

IMG_2407 (C&E)

I’m finally ready for the big project reveal, but first I probably should give you a little background info.
A long, long time ago, my parents bought me a set of bedroom furniture for my 16th birthday.  (Yes, indeed, it was a loooooong time ago!)
The set included:
  • a double dresser and mirror,
  • 2 three drawer bachelor chests,
  • a three drawer corner chest and hutch,
  • a desk and chair,
  • 2 nightstands,
  • and a king-sized headboard.
It was a great, stylish set at the time but, alas,  sets of matchy-matchy furniture have long become passé.  The main reason I have kept this set all these years is because we have very small closets in our house and with  small closets, the 23 drawers in this set are invaluable!  I truly don’t know what we would do without all this drawer space.  
Who knows…maybe if I wait long enough, matching furniture sets will come back in vogue!  LOL. 
Anyway, here’s what the room most recently looked like…my “red phase.”

IMG_0546 (C&E)

 

IMG_0545 (C&E)

Several months ago, I decided I wanted to redecorate this room in my new favorite color, aqua, and use beachy decor. 

IMG_2395 (C&E)

The drawers do have a rope-like design on them but that, in itself,  didn’t seem beachy enough to me so the following thoughts went through my head…
I wish my furniture looked more cottage/coastal.
I wonder what I could do  to make it look more cottage/coastal?
Hmmm… bead board is very coastal looking.  Maybe I could insert bead board in the recessed areas of the drawer fronts.
No…it would probably be too thick.
AND it would require a lot of measuring and cutting for 23 drawers.
I would need Hubby’s help with bead board too.
Hubby HATES carpentry work.
Gee, I think I recall seeing bead board wallpaper before.
YES!  That’s it!  Bead board wallpaper would be so much easier to work with.
Hubby hates carpentry and I could handle the wallpaper myself.
That would make Hubby really happy!
Not long after having that conversation with myself, Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality posted about using bead board wallpaper on the ends of her kitchen cabinets. It looked absolutely awesome so that further convinced me to  try applying it to my furniture.
The process was really easy because the decorative drawer trim was just screwed on.  Once the screws were removed and the trim piece was off, it was very quick and easy to apply a piece of wallpaper to the flat drawer fronts.  I didn’t even have to be precise in cutting the wallpaper because all the raw edges were hidden once the decorative trim piece was screwed back in place.

IMG_2393 (C&E) 

The photo below  shows the drawers “before” on the left…and the “after” drawers on the right.

IMG_2397 (3)

 
IMG_2394 (C&E)
Although this wallpaper is paintable, I elected not to  paint it because it was actually  a P.E.R.F.E.C.T. match to my furniture in its natural state.  I was afraid I would never be able to get paint that matched any better and I didn’t want to open a can of worms and have to end up repainting all of that furniture!
My next goal was to cover up the lattice trim on top of the dresser mirror.  This proved to be a bit more challenging and time consuming than the drawers.

IMG_2462 (C&E)

 

As I stood studying it and trying to come  up with a plan, I noticed there was a recessed area.

IMG_2464 (E)

I made a pattern of the lattice area from white paper.  Then, using the pattern, I traced the shape onto foam board that I found in the picture framing department at Michael’s and cut it out.  Then I applied the wallpaper to the foam board.

IMG_2465 (C&E)

I put a few dabs of hot glue on the back of the foam board to hold it in place and  caulked around the edges.

IMG_2488 (C&E)

 IMG_2497 (C&E)

I also removed the back of the hutch and wallpapered it. 
Since the hutch  had the lattice too, my original plan was to cover it the same way I covered the lattice on the mirror.  However, I quickly discovered I didn’t like the way that looked when the panels were covered over.  The shelf was just closed up too much so…
a couple of whacks with the palm of my hand…

IMG_2456 (E)

and the panels popped right out.  Ahhhhh…much better!

IMG_2487 (CR&E)

 
Wallpaper was also applied to the sides of the nightstands.

IMG_2460 (E)

 

And a little to accentuate the curvy detail of the desk chair.

IMG_2501 (E)

The application of the bead board wallpaper and new drawer pulls was such an easy solution for giving this old furniture a long-deserved facelift.  I truly feel like I have a new set of furniture without giving up my 23 drawers of storage space!

IMG_2504 (C&E)

Now it’s time to add the fun stuff that gives the room pizzazz and personality…bed linens, artwork, and accessories. 
Stay tuned for that transformation!

 

For more Metamorphosis Monday transformations, check out  Between Naps on the Porch !

met monday

 

And pop over to see Make Your Monday at Twice Remembered

Twice Remembered

Makeover inspiration is also abundant over at DIY DAY at A Soft Place to Land .

kimbaDIY125

 

Visit Sanctuary Arts at Home for Makeover Open House on the 25th of each month.

makeover open house

 

 

67 comments:

Unknown said...

Shari, what a fabulous makeover! I love the new draw pulls and the wallpaper beadboard really gave your pieces such a beachy cottage appeal! Love the tutorials! Bravo!

Tina

Anonymous said...

Hi Shari! Oh, I love this! You have really transformed your bedroom suit! I'm loving this beadboard wallpaper! You've done an excellent job!
Be a sweetie,
shelia :)

The Bliss Journey said...

Shari, you did a wonderful job, looks great.
Kathleen

Signing Out said...

Wow, Shari! It looks fantastic! It makes a huge difference and gives the room that cottage feel.

I just ordered some of that beadboard wallpaper myself for my kitchen project. Thanks to Rhoda, it may be the next big thing in Blogland since chalkboard paint! :)

Jane

DesignTies said...

Love it!! You've really given your furniture and new & fresh look :-) Very creative and ingenious use of wallpaper :-)

Have fun accessorizing your new beachy room :-)

Kelly @ DesignTies

Michelle said...

Wow...what a transformation. I especially like the beadboard look at the top of the mirror where the lattice used to be. Everything looks great including your wall color. You did a fabulous job!

Caroline said...

Very nice Shari...I love beadboard.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Looking forward to the final look!

Sharlotte said...

Shari,
I love, love, love this! I have admired the bead board work at Rhonda's and now it seems a lot more posts are showing this type of decorating as well. You did a fantastic job! I like to do things myself too, sometimes it's just easier than waiting for my husband to have the time to help. You are such an inspiration, if you can do it, I have the courage to at least try.

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely GORGEOUS! GORGEOUS! GORGEOUS! Now, where can I find this beadboard wallpaper?! (PammMuz@gmail.com)

Grins!
Pamm

Barb said...

Hi Shari, love the drawer pulls and all the pictures are wonderful!

Barb

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is totally awesome Shari. You did a wonderful job and the transformation is stunning! Pretty wall color too. I can't wait to see the end result. TFS! Sheila

Connie said...

Ya gotta love that beadboard wallpaper. You are very talented and patient. It looks fabulous.

Mary said...

Shari,your make-over is gorgeous! You did a fantastic job, and I know it was a BIG job! Your tutorial is excellent. You've sold me on this, and I can already think of other places to use it after I finish my kitchen! Thanks so much for your awesome help!!! You are a sweetheart!
Mary

Ashley @ AshleysBusy said...

Wow, HUGE transformation! I love it, even though I did really like the lattice trim too :)

I have a giveaway on my blog and I'd love for you to check it out :)

June said...

Sheri, this is amazing! What an awesome makeover. You did good!
Smiles,
June

Pam @ This Humble House said...

Get out! That is a wonderful example of updating! Wow! How smart! I'm following your blog - gotta see what else you do!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Oh Shari this is just awesome what you did here...WOW!! Just love it my friend...thanks Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Anonymous said...

Love the new look! That beadboard wallpaper is awesome.

kathi said...

Looks like you are beadboarding everything in site! Love it! What a transformation! You say that's wallpaper?! Amazing!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Ok...I say this is just pure brillance...amazing what a difference it made...I mean I thought the room was pretty before...but the headboard...brillant!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

shari, I'm so glad you showed this project off, it's fantastic! I really do think I'll do a beadboard party too, very soon. There are so many great projects out there & so many ways to use this stuff. Love yours!!

Julie said...

You did an awesome job. As my Marine son would say in complementing.....OUTSTANDING!
Thanks for sharing how your creativity and elbow grease gave you a whole new look in your bedroom. I know you are loving it.

Tricia said...

Wow- great transformation!! Looks beautiful.

Sami said...

Beautiful, and such a smart way to update furniture.

Samantha

Anita@Theycallmejammi said...

Wow, what a differance...and much quicker and easier than having to deal with wood beadboard.

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

So unbelievable....It is so charming and dreamy....I LOVE it...and will be zipping out to get my beadboard wallpaper ASAP...Great tips!

Blessings~
Spencer

Tammy said...

Looks good. You did a great job.
can't wait to see the whole room pulled together.

tammy

Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst said...

You did a great job applying the beadboard wallpaper! I think you should paint that chair a light coral color, to make it stand out and add even more to your beachy theme!

One Shabby Old House said...

You win the award for the day....I love it. It all turned out just perfect. Pat yourself on the back my friend. I am sure that you have inspired alot of people out there today.
Hugs
Becky

Reid said...

LOVE it! I'm trying to figure out where to put some beadboard paper!

Janet said...

All I can say is WOW!!!

joyh82 said...

Wow what an awesome transformation. Love how it is beadboard wallpaper too.

Kim @ Twice Remembered said...

You are brilliant! I love this solution and am definitely going to have to use this wallpaper in some of my projects...LOVE it! That dresser set looks really nice and I admire you for making it work for current design plan. Excellent job!

Anonymous said...

WOW !!!! You need to come over to my house and give me some ideas on redoing things.

I love it. Can't wait to see the finished room.

Willow

Anonymous said...

Morning, Shari! Just wanted you to know I've posted about the giveaway I won from you! Thank you again ~ I just love it!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Cass @ That Old House said...

Wow! This is amazing; I cannot believe the transformation you achieved using wallpaper! Plus, you still have a happy husband -- another bonus. :-)
Excellent post --loved it!
Cass

Cindy said...

Wow, what a great project!!! I want to get some of that wallpaper for my bathroom. Did you order it online or buy directly at Home Depot?

Lillian J. Banks said...

Love it! Love your blog!

Barbara Jean said...

Totally awesome re dos!!!

Thanks for sharing them.
blessings,
barbara jean

Roeshel said...

Wow! Beautiful job! I love what you've done - the entire look is transformed and gorgeous!
Roeshel

marieDee said...

That was a great idea! I had my doubts that it would make so much of a difference, until I saw the photos! By the way, I think "matchy-matchy" is not out of style if it's essentially used as one big unit like yours. Do you?

Shanty 2 Chic said...

Oh wow!!! I;m so impressed!! Way to go! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe what a transformation that wallpaper makes. Everything is just gorgeous! I've got to get me some!

Cheryl @ a pretty cool life. said...

Much better! You did a great job...thanks for sharing!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

love it! love it! love it!!!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Fabulous! I can barely believe this is the same room!

I have a roll of that beadboard wallpaper in my travel trailer. Can't wait to transform that baby!

Donna

Cheryl said...

WOW, your furniture redo looks fabulous. Everyone is using this wallpaper and in so many different ways. Your transformation is the best I have seen yet.

santamaker said...

Smart lady.....that looks awesome! I'm jealous you have so much storage and it looks fab!

Katie said...

What an awesome room redo, can't wait to see the finished product. I love bead board. All those doors make me think you could use it as one awesome craft room.

Delightful Dwelling said...

I love it, thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

That is fantastic! I love beadboard and I want some of that wallpaper, too. The possibilities are endless! Thanks for sharing.

Nancy

Tonya said...

That looks amazing!!! I'm so going to be checking out the beadboard wallpaper! Can you tell me...is it grooved like real beadboard or just designed to look like it is?

Sandy~Romantique Inspirations~ said...

Wow Shari, The makeover is fantastic and by using the beadboard wallpaper on the furniture looks super. I also love the color you used on your walls. Very nice job well done!!

Micah said...

WOW! That looks GREAT!!! I didn't know they made such a thing. I'm a beadboard Luvah, yes, I am. Great job!

PinkBalloons&Macaroons said...

wow! such a cute idea!! I hope you have a fabulous day!!! hugs!! Britt :-)

Unknown said...

I love that! I need to try it in a few places. It really looks so great in your furniture, and seems to be pretty easy to use. Well done!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
TidyMom said...

I LOVE what you did!! it looks amazing!!

~TidyMom

Dawn-Hydrangea Home said...

You did an amazing job on that furniture! I'm planning on giving that a try on my kitchen cabinets. Enjoy your new beach cottage room!

Kristy said...

OH.MY WORD....
This had got to be my most FAVORITE makeover ever. E.V.E.R.
I am SOOOOO inspired!!!Yee haw!
Blessings ~

Bunny Jean said...

Shari, you are just WAY TOO CLEVER!!! The drawer pulls with the little twisted "rope" accent match perfectly. I will be visiting your blog regularly!

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

Ok, THAT is gorgeous! It really turned out fantastic!!

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

Fantastic transformation! The new palette is so serene and uplifting and the furniture looks right at home. I have to get some of that wall paper!!!

Free Art Printables said...

WHat a huge job but it looks AWESOME! I hope you give yourself a huge pat on the back! YOU deserve it! jen

Sandra said...

Hello! I just found your blog and i'm glad I did. I love what you did with the beadboard wallpaper. I ordered some of the same wallpaper and it supposed to arrive tomorrow Sept 4th. I can't wait. :) I hope you don't mind me following blog and hope you visit my blog some time. :)
Blessings,
Sandra

Anonymous said...

FYI - $7/roll less expensive at Lowe's than at Home Depot!