Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Is It Pumpkin Bread? Or Pumpkin Cake? Both!

IMG_2431 (C&E)

    I think everybody has a favorite pumpkin bread recipe but in case you don’t, here’s a great one for you to try.  (Yes, two recipe posts in a row but I promise I’m not turning this into a cooking blog!)

    I’ve been making this recipe forever…so long that I can’t even remember where the recipe came from.  I love it because it’s not only quick, easy and tasty, but it’s versatile too.  The original recipe calls for cooking it in a Bundt pan but I’ve also made it as a sheet cake with the optional frosting recipe below.  Most of the time though, I cook it in loaf pans and leave it unfrosted, like pumpkin bread.

    It’s incredibly moist right out of the oven but after a couple days in the refrigerator (if it lasts that long!), it becomes so moist it just melts in your mouth.

    PUMPKIN BREAD (OR PUMPKIN CAKE)  

  • 1 box yellow cake mix

  • 4 eggs

  • 3/4 cup sugar

  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil

  • 1/2 cup milk

  • 1 cup canned pumpkin (not canned pumpkin pie filling)  We like a stronger pumpkin taste so I usually use more like 1 1/2 cups...almost the whole small can

  • 1 large box vanilla instant pudding

  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Dump all ingredients into a bowl and mix well.  Pour into greased & floured pan and bake at 350 degrees.  Bundt pan takes about 1 hour, sheet cake about 25-30 minutes, loaf pans about 30-50 minutes, depending on size.  (One recipe will make at least two loaves, more if you are using smaller loaf pans).  

    Frosting (Optional)

  • 8 oz. package cream cheese

  • 1 stick of butter or margarine

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla  (I usually use more)

  • 1/2 to 3/4 box powdered sugar

  • 1-3 tablespoons milk if necessary to achieve desired consistency

    Beat until smooth and creamy.

IMG_2440 (E)

8 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh Shari,
That looks mouth wateringly delicious! I think I will try that for one of my Christmas parties.
Thanks!
Hugs, Cindy

Jocelyn said...

Oh wow Shari, this looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

Kathy@ Gone North said...

Yum, Yum!.. Pumpkin is just about my favorite flavor... I will certainly be trying this one. Thanks for sharing....
(& LOVE the cake/loaf plate )

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Great presentation - that platter is stunning.

:)
ButterYum

KimMalk said...

Wow, that looks easy and delicious. It's nice that it starts with a mix for those times when you don't want to overly fuss.

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Hi Shari...

That looks deeeeeeeeeeeeee.lish! I'm going to try this one for sure!

Huggies,
Spencer

Anonymous said...

This recipe was a HIT! Easy to follow, I used fresh pumpkin :-). Thank God for people like you who share with others!

Anonymous said...

this a fabulous recipe. I made it once with a spice cake recipe and it was really good. I have two loaves in the oven now that have been made with a butter pecan cake mix. Hopefully they are equally as good. Thanks for sharing.