Across the front of the house is a nice size covered porch.
Although I still have a million and one projects left to do inside the house and there are still more moving boxes that need to be unpacked, I’ve got a bee in my bonnet to start fixing up the front of the house, especially the porch area.
This is my inspiration photo. Love this!
I see several definite similarities between my porch and the one in my inspiration photo....long and narrow, brick house, shutters, and columns… so I think it would be relatively easily achieve the same type of look.
The heck with all the unfinished inside projects. I’m a woman on a mission! I’ve decided that starting this weekend, my current projects include:
- a whole lot of pressure washing
- painting the porch ceiling a pretty shade of light blue (Did you know blue porch ceilings are an old Southern tradition? There are numerous theories as to why... fooling spiders and wasps into thinking the ceiling is the sky, to blue being a color of good luck, to the color extending daylight, to scaring away evil spirits.)
- painting the shutters black
- a fresh coat of white paint on the columns
- stain or paint the concrete floor
- find pretty wicker furniture and cushions
- a new outdoor ceiling fan
- plants and flowers
Hopefully, we will be enjoying our hot summer evenings with a cool drink on a pretty, Southern-inspired front porch. What is your favorite way to spend a summer evening?