Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A Pair of Chippendale Style Chairs From Craigslist

There are still several pieces of furniture I could use to fill in  some of the rooms in the house in Hooterville.   Depending on what I want, one of my favorite methods of shopping for furniture is Craigslist.    Sometimes finding good stuff on Craigslist can feel a lot like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack but if I’m patient enough, I can usually find what I’m looking for.  I’ve scored some really good deals on Craigslist over the past few years.

While working on getting the furniture arranged in the formal living room, it occurred to me the only seating I had in here was the  white matelasse slip covered sofa and loveseat from our old house.  

IMG_3505 (C&E)

However, the living room here at the house in Hooterville really isn’t big enough  to accommodate  any more upholstered furniture so I decided perhaps one or two dining side chairs would provide  extra seating without taking up too much physical or visual space.  The problem:  I didn’t  have any dining room  furniture  yet to borrow chairs  from, and had no plans to buy dining room furniture anytime soon,  so I turned to Craigslist  in hopes of finding a couple orphaned chairs.

About two days after I started perusing Craigslist, I saw  a listing for two mahogany, Chippendale style arm chairs with spotless, off-white, tone-on-tone damask seats.   I looked this style up online to see what they typically cost retail and they can run $300 or $400 (or more) for just one chair.  I thought the $125.00 the seller was asking for the pair was a pretty good deal so they came home with me.

IMG_3458 (E) 

Those ball and claw feet creep me out just a little bit  but otherwise, I love the style of these chairs …the shape, the detail… and they are small enough to easily move around to  different places in the living room.   It will also be no problem to pull them up to the formal dining room table if I need a couple extra chairs for family gatherings.

IMG_3469 (C&E)

In the photos, the chairs seem to look pretty good with the dark wood of my curio cabinet and flooring in the foyer, but in person,  the chairs’ dark finish seems to disrupt the serenity of  the mostly white living room I desired so, at some point, the chairs may get a coat of white paint. 

IMG_3508 (C&E)

However, before I decide whether to paint them,  there’s a few things that need to be finished. I want to get the brass on the crystal chandelier hanging in the center of the room painted white.   Window treatments are still on the “To Do” list too.  I know what I want but just haven’t had a chance to implement it yet. 

IMG_3511 (E)

I also recently found a new crystal lamp for the formal living room at HomeGoods.  Boy, the HomeGoods stores in my area have had a big selection of beautiful and very reasonably priced crystal lamps lately.  I had a hard time deciding which one to buy so I brought a couple home to try and this one with silver satin ribbon on the shade won out.

IMG_3470 (C&E)

Next time, I’ll show you what’s happening on the other end of the room, which is the formal dining room.  I scored BIG TIME on Craigslist again!  Even my hubby was giddy with excitement over that deal. 

Yes, giddy.

9 comments:

Bring Pretty Back said...

Shari, LUCKY YOU! And when you can impress the hubby... that is the best!
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

Marilyn said...

The chairs would look nice painted, but how about a pale color to bring help draw some attention to them? They do have a nice shape, even if you don't care for the claws. (Just don't look)!♥♫

Marilyn said...

Proof read!! Leave out bring!! Too late. My fingers are faster than my brain.♥♫

Cindy said...

Hi Shari,
The chairs are beautiful! I love them, the dark wood breaks up the sea of white just a little.
Hugs, Cindy

Unknown said...

Magnificent finds. Love them, lucky you, my friend.

Would you be so kind to leave a comment on my BLOG ONLY, for the Miracle Makeover fund drive. Charlie, 8 yr. old, & his story are fabulous. Every comment brings us a $1 for the next person that will be sponsored.

Have a beautiful weekend.
Hugs,
TTFN ~
Marydon

awal.ny said...

The room looks great. I love the contrast of the white and dark of the new chairs.

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Shari,
I love your living room and the chippendale style chairs are the perfect touch!. What a great find.
Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

The Old Painted Cottage said...

Hi Shari, the chairs are gorgeous in this space. I am loving the dark contrast against all the white.

oxox
Jennifer

Jocelyn said...

Hi Shari,
I came across a blog post and thought of you. You might already have seen this, but the furniture reminded me a little of what might be going for.

http://niagaranovice.blogspot.com/2011/07/little-belgium-in-kansas.html

Jocelyn