Tuesday, September 14, 2010

More Laundry Room Progress

Waaaay back in May, I posted some photos of new storage cabinets we installed in the ginormous laundry room at the house in Hooterville and said I anticipated having the third wall of cabinets done and ready to share “within the next few weeks.”
Sheeesh!  What I SHOULD have said was “within the next few MONTHS”! 
How did I forget that since buying the house/farm last October, it seems like we have at least 2 dozen projects in the works at any given time?   “Urgent Need”  seems to play a big part in which projects get completed, and which ones drag on and on.  Invariably, if we start one thing, something else pops up that ends up having a higher priority level.  The laundry room is one of those projects that keeps getting neglected for other things.
You can see the initial phase of the laundry room here.
This is the “before” photo of the 3rd wall I wanted to put cabinets on. 

IMG_1111 (3)

When the cabinets were installed, we were left with the hot water heater sandwiched in the corner so the next dilemma became how to conceal it but still leave it easily accessible if it should require temperature adjustment, repairs or replacement.
IMG_1818
The partial “wall” in the photo below got me thinking about how we could create something similar to hide the hot water heater.  (Don’t you love this laundry area?)

laundry inspiration-Ballard (2) photo source:  Ballard Designs catalog

After walking around the home improvement store looking at possibilities, my hubby and I decided…
2 hollow core doors…

IMG_1816

turned at right angles to each other and slid between the cabinet and a 2 x 4 mounted to the wall provided an easy and inexpensive solution.

IMG_1849 

Just a couple of screws (covered with plastic caps) hold the doors together and in the event we need to get to the hot water heater, we simply remove the caps and screws, and slide each lightweight door out. 

IMG_1902 (C&E)

The cabinet to the left of the hot water heater enclosure is free-standing so it can also be pulled out of the way if an even  larger space is needed to  access  the hot water heater. IMG_1850 (3)
The guy who is doing my kitchen remodel had a piece of  black and gray laminate left over from his own laundry room that I really liked so he used it for the countertop here in my laundry room (and gave me a great deal on it).
IMG_1879
IMG_1903 (C&E)
There is still quite a bit of work to be done here…

IMG_1936 (C&E) 

but I’m happy with the progress so far!

14 comments:

deb said...

I love it when you post!!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Fantastic - I can't wait for the finished pics.

Are you sure you'll be able to access that water heater? Okay, I trust you.

:)
ButterYum

Marigene said...

Looking good!

janet said...

Hi Shari, how you doing? Wow!!! who wouldn't want to laundry in this lovely space. Look forward to the completion.
hugs
janet

Anonymous said...

Hi Shari! Oh, your laundry room is looking great! That was a great idea using the doors!
Will your kitchen be done by Oct. 13? I'm having a Heart of the Home Party and we'll be showing our kitchens. I hope you can come. If it's not complete you could show us the progress!
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

faithful love said...

I can't believe you can enclose it like that in your state...in Cali you have to leave it wide open for venting around it...you are lucky you can do this...I wish I could make mine disappear!

Looks great!

Your home is beautiful...what a dream to have a horse ranch....

Thanks for sharing...love your blog!

Betty said...

Great ideas you have come up with and I love the whole look of the room.

Willow

Marilyn said...

That is going to be the best laundry room--all that space with a sink and counter. Lucky you!! ♥♫

Bring Pretty Back said...

Shari, your laundry room is about the size of my entire downstairs of the new little house! haha! I love what you are doing with it! please keep the photo's coming!
OH! Not making a big deal of your anniversary... not good! you have 3 months to plan a special evening!

have a pretty day!
Kristin

Cindy said...

Hi!
It already looks SO MUCH better! Incredible difference! I love the color of your paint, everything is looking great! Hard to believe you have owned that house for nearly a year now. How time does FLY!
Hugs, Cindy

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Shari! That's a perfect solution.... I love it... It's so nice to have it hidden. Amazing that the doors fit so exactly.

It's just great!

Huggies,
Spencer

Creations By Cindy said...

Came across this as I was looking for ideas to hide the ugly hot water heater! Love this! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Mike Fabricius said...

What happens when you have a leak and need to shut it off or replace it?

Shari @ My Cottage of Bliss said...


@ Mike Fabricius: As stated in the post...

There are only a couple of screws (covered with plastic caps) that hold the doors together. In the event we needed to get to the hot water heater, we would simply remove the plastic caps and screws, and slide each lightweight door out. The door panel closest to the cabinet would slide out first and then the door panel propped against the sink base would slide out next and that would open up that corner. (If you were looking at it from above, the doors only make a L shape around the water heater. It is completely open on the top.)

The cabinet to the left of the hot water heater enclosure is free-standing so it can also easily be pulled out of the way if an even larger space is needed to replace or work on the water heater.