Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Blogland: It Really Is a Small World After All!

8_friends_beach
In the fall of 2007, I “met” a woman named Debbie in the comments section of the blog, My Romantic Home.  Debbie and I  started emailing back and forth and quickly realized we had an incredible number of things in common.  We are even the same age…born just 3 weeks apart!
Debbie lives in New Jersey.   I’m in Florida.  Each time we corresponded, we talked about how we wished we lived closer so we could actually meet each other in person.  Finally, a little over a year later, I extended an invitation to Debbie to come visit me in Florida and she accepted! 
In April 2009, Debbie arrived to stay 8 days with me.  Now, never having actually met before, spending 8 days together could have ended up being a nightmare for either one, or both, of us.  But from the moment Debbie got off the plane,  it was like we had known each other our entire lives!  I do believe we are “soul sisters” in every sense of the term.  We had so much fun talking…and sightseeing…and talking…and shopping…and talking…and shopping…and talking!
Doesn’t it amaze you how the Internet and blogging have connected all of us?  It certainly boggles my mind that I could meet someone who has become such a dear friend via the comment section of a blog!
During Debbie’s stay, we visited the Sponge Docks & Greek Village in Tarpon Springs, FL., which is known for exhibitions of sponge diving/harvesting,  many Greek restaurants offering authentic Greek cuisine, and  quaint little shops.

IMG_0105 R&C at the Tarpon Springs Sponge Docks

Of course we had to visit Shamu at the Orlando SeaWorld.   (Oh lordy, we I sure look tired here! This photo was taken at the end of the day after we had tromped around SeaWorld from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., seeing one show after another.)

IMG_0160 (2) R&E SeaWorld, Orlando, FL

One afternoon my husband took us out in our boat.  We motored around Tampa Bay, enjoying the beautiful weather and admiring some of the waterfront homes. 
Picnik waterfront collage 2
We also went, via boat,  to the St. Petersburg Pier, docked the boat and went inside. 
“The Pier,” as it is known to local residents, is a 5 story building that is shaped liked an inverted pyramid.  It extends 3,000 feet out into Tampa Bay.  Inside are gift shops, galleries,  boutiques,  sit-down waterfront restaurants,  a food court, and an aquarium.

IMG_0133 The St. Petersburg Pier

Here we are on the top (5th)  floor of The Pier with the downtown St. Petersburg, Florida  skyline in the background.
IMG_0130 R&C atop The St. Petersburg Pier
The St. Petersburg Pier is the winter home of the  H.M.S. Bounty, the ship that was used in the 1962 movie, Mutiny on the Bounty, with Marlon Brando, and the 1989 movie, Treasure Island, with Charlton Heston.
Bounty collage  H.M.S. Bounty
Naturally, Debbie and I also did quite a bit of shopping while she was here but we were much too busy looking for great deals to take photos!  Anyway, at that point, neither of us  had a blog then (although we both had given it some serious consideration) so we weren’t conditioned yet to journaling our shopping excursions with pictures for a blog! 
However…. I am just tickled pink to tell you Debbie has finally decided to join all of us in  Blogland with a blog of her own.  You can find her at Pink Roses & Teacups so I do hope you will go by and say hello.   She is an incredibly sweet person and I know you’re going to enjoy getting to know her. 
When you stop in and introduce yourself, tell her you think SHE REALLY SHOULD  MOVE TO FLORIDA so she and I  can visit over coffee and shop on a regular basis!  ;)

 coffeedrinkers

 

 

12 comments:

Four Paws and Co said...

How wonderful to make a friend through blogging. Great photos & sounds like you had an amazing time! ☺♥☺ diane

Kammy said...

Hi Shari !
I loved your post....so sweet to find a real for real friend..how nice of you to have her visit..I loved your pics together and looks like you had a great time. I will go visit your friends blog :o)
Hugs ~ Kammy

Shellbelle said...

Hi Shari! Funny, I wrote a bit about blog friends today for Outdoor Wednesday, it is amazing the friendships we make.

Looks like Debbie had a great time visiting some of our landmarks. Glad to see she was here when the weather was so beautiful and not hot like now.

Have you ever been to 1905 Day at the Columbia Restaurant? I go to the one on the pier every year and have such fun. This year it is on September 20th, if you haven't been before be sure to go early to avoid the long lines!

Pink Roses and Teacups said...

Oh Shari,

I appreciate your taking the time to do such a beautiful post about our friendship and visit, in the middle of a big decorating project!
Now is that a true friend or what! I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you dear friend! Thank you so much, for everything. You are one of the dearest, sweetest, people I know. I just love the photo on top.
How befitting. (sniff, sniff)

Debbie xo

Designs on 47th Street said...

Oh I just loved this story! If you read my previous post, you will see I have met some internet friends in person as well. It is just great fun!!

I will certainly let you know if I figure out some new info for WLW. I'll be trying a couple of new techniques soon!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Donna

Lisa said...

what fun!! You are so Lucky to have found each other!
Hugs, Lisa

Cindy said...

That is such a sweet story. I find it so hard to make friends, so few people share my interests, except for those I meet in Blogland. So sad! It is so special to meet somebody your age who shares your interests. Girlfriends are so important for all of us. Hugs ~cindy s~

Rue said...

Hi Shari :)

I find it amazing too! Amazing that we can become friends with someone that we've never met. I love this place we call Blogland. I'm so glad you were able to get together and it looks like you had a great time :)

rue

Cindy said...

I'm so happy that Debbie started a blog!!! And I'm so happy that the two of you met each other through my blog and have formed such a great friendship!

Claudia said...

What a great story, Shari. It is amazing how friendships are made in blogland! It looks like you two had a great time. My sister used to live in Tarpon Springs and it is so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Shari,
I really love this post. It reminds me of when I met you both. What a great day that was. I agree with you we should all go have tea the next time Deb is in town at the Emma Rose!

Barbara Jean said...

Thanks for coming by, and glad you enjoyed my pinks.

I'm off to see more of your posts.

blessings.
Barbara Jean