Friday, June 26, 2009

Strawberry Coconut Cake

This recipe has already made its debut in Blogland before.  You might have seen it here .  Or maybe here .   I made it last week for my daughter’s birthday so I decided to share the recipe today for “Foodie Friday,” in case you missed it before. 

Foodie_Friday_Logo_2

And, because it’s PINK, it’s also my “Pink Saturday” contribution too.

Pink Saturday

 
It definitely makes a very pretty cake.

IMG_2183 R&E 2

My family are  chocoholics so chocolate is generally their first choice for cake but they enjoyed this.  It was very moist.  I would definitely make it again.

IMG_2188 E

Strawberry Coconut Cake Recipe

Ingredients

Cake:
1 1/2 boxes of white cake mix
5 eggs
2 cups water
3/4 cup oil
1/2 box of strawberry Jello (3 oz. box)
1/2 cup of chopped strawberries

Icing:
16 oz sour cream
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 box of strawberry Jello (3 oz. box)
7 oz bag of sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup of chopped strawberries
1 (8 oz) carton of Cool Whip, thawed

Directions

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients for cake with an electric mixer. Pour into 3 (8 or 9 inch) round baking pans that have been sprayed with cooking spray. Place in preheated oven and bake for 22 minutes. Let cake cool completely before icing.

Mix all ingredients for the icing, excluding the Cool Whip. Place one layer of cake on a platter and cover the top with 1/3 of the coconut mixture. Add the second layer and cover that layer with another 1/3 of the mixture. Take the remaining 1/3 mixture and add the 8 oz carton of Cool Whip. Add the 3rd layer and cover the entire cake with your Cool Whip mixture.

IMG_2202  CR&E

Dr. Gollum, the husband of our lovely “Foodie Friday” hostess, Michael Lee of Designs by Gollum, is also celebrating a birthday today so I’d like to offer him a virtual piece of this delicious cake and say, “Happy Birthday, Dr. G.!”

 

22 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh this looks so good, my DH would definitely love it. Love the frosting also. Hugs, Marty

Shellbelle said...

How pretty is this? I love anything pink (think flamingo) and it sounds just positively scrumptious! Do I have to share?

Mary Bergfeld said...

How beautiful is that! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us.
Blessings...Mary

Christi @ A Southern Life said...

I love anything with strawberries! This is definitely a keeper for my file. Thanks.

Christi

Cindy said...

That looks so good! I wish I had a piece right now!!!

Pink Roses and Teacups said...

OOOOh, this looks yummy! Thanks for sharing it! So pretty too!

Debbie :)

Unknown said...

Happy Pink Saturday Shari!

What a beautiful cake! It looks so delicious too!

Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Tina

Anonymous said...

Happy Pink Saturday. The cake is certainly yummy, how perfect for today.

Your blog is lovely.

It will be a pleasure to get to know you and see you around the blogs.

Warm Regards,
Jennifer
MaidenShade.wordpress.com

stefanie said...

oh my, its beautiful. i am definitly going to try this.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

A pink cake for a Pink Saturday post! Perfect! Have a wonderful weekend.

Blessings,
Sandi

♥Mimi♥ said...

♥What a sweet Pink Saturday blog post! There's just something about the color pink that brings out the best of everything☺

How imaginative and wonderful! So creative this week! I'm gonna make that cake...two of my favorites. LOVE THE PETS!

Have a wonderful weekend. Finally warm and sunny here, hope your neck of the woods is just as pink-a-licious as mine♥

Anonymous said...

SHARI!
You are such a sweetheart! How are you doing???!!! Thank you for leaving your sweet comment on my piece-of-crap new blog! OMH, that took me like 3 hours to post that!!!! lol Maybe I'll get the "Most Improved" blog award later on???
I look at other blogs like yours, that are SO pretty and creative and I want to hit the delete key on mine!
I'm so glad you said hello! And boy, do I want some pink coconut cake right now!

Have a most wonderful weekend and
don't be a stranger!

:0)
Gayle

Claudia said...

Shari, that looks so yummy! I can feel my taste buds perking up! Happy Pink Saturday!

Maya said...

Oh my gosh..., this cake looks so gooood..., then I saw it needs 11 cups of sugar and I was back on earth! But I do enjoy looking at it..., all sweet, cakey and pastry things are eye candy to me. Maybe it's because my dad was once a pastry chef!?

Beansieleigh said...

This looks absolutely DELICIOUS!! I would LOVE to try this one! Thank you for sharing this recipe! Happy Pink Saturday, and have a wonderful week!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Shari! Now this looks yummy! I might have to try this one for the 4th, since I'm probably the dessert person! Hope you are having a great weekend...Debbie

abeachcottage said...

oh my goodness Shari, love love love this - I am such an awful baker though, just found myself thinking oh I'm so making that and then remembered my dreadful baking skills...

happy Pink Sat

Sarah

Patricia said...

Happy Pink Saturday !!! Thank you for the recipe - the cake is beautiful. I hope you have a lovely new week.

Regina said...

Nice blog.

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

the key word here.. yummylicious pinky cake! happy PS

lisa said...

My mouth is watering, your cake looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Lisa

Signing Out said...

This looks great! I copied the recipe and can't wait to make it.

Jane