Wednesday, July 22, 2009

“A Day Late and a Dollar Short”

I always feel like I'm “a day late and a dollar short" when it comes to  decorating trends.   Especially  “a day late.”
It seems like no matter what type of decor or colors I want to decorate with, I’m either too early or too late to find what I’m looking for in the stores…usually too late.

Does that ever happen to you?

Because I actually WANT beachy cottage decor in soft, watery shades of aqua for my bedroom makeover, I’m having trouble finding it.   
This is July.  The middle of summer.  I live in Florida.  You would think beach inspired decor would be everywhere, right?  HA!  I’ve spent several days running all over town, to every store I can think of,  checking out what’s available.  “Cutesy” beach signs with sayings like,  “Tiki Bar” or “It’s Five O’clock Somewhere,” and lighthouses seem to be prevalent but that’s not exactly what I had in mind for our master bedroom re-do. 
About 4 months ago, Michaels Crafts had a whole section of pretty beach related decor items but, at that point, I hadn’t even considered redecorating our bedroom.  Of course, now that I’m looking for beachy decor/colors, they’ve got all the fall items out! 
As I said…”A day late…”
Here are a couple things I have found.
I thought these bathing beauty figurines were cute. The shorter one can hold  a tea light candle in her beach ball.  They were on sale for 30% off and, with the “senior’s discount,” (ahem… 50 and older…not 65!), I got another 15% off.  They ended up costing me less than $10.00 for the 2 of them. 

IMG_2387 (R&E)

But, as you can see, they are not  aqua.  Actually, aren’t these just the most atrocious colors  for beach figurines?  Not to worry though.  These little cuties are going to get a makeover with paint sometime in the near future so I’ll be showing you their new look when I’m done.
I’ve also been looking for artwork.  I saw these unframed prints online at Art.com. for $14.99 each.   If you’ve ever had anything matted and framed, or mounted on canvas, you know that’s where the $$$ really adds up.
(Just a side note:  I sure would like to spend some time in that hammock!)

jt-vegar-relax 

jt-vegar-lazy-day

Although I thought these prints were quite charming and whimsical,  I was primarily hesitant to order them because I thought the colors might be too bright or intense.
Then lo and behold, wouldn’t you know, I found the same prints, already mounted on canvas and ready-to-hang, at the same store where I found the bathing beauty figurines.  They were only $9.99 each!  If that wasn’t enough of a deal, they were discounted another 15%  because of the “seniors discount”!   Sometimes it really pays to be a “senior” !! 
Since they ended up costing  only about $8.50 each, I thought it was certainly worth bringing them home to try them.   Actually, they look pretty good on my aqua walls so I think I’m going to keep them.  If I end up finding something I like better later on, I certainly wouldn’t feel bad replacing them since I haven’t got much invested in them.
I’m also looking at the print below on AllPosters.com.  It reminds me of my daughter when she was little.  This print is begging to be matted and put into a pretty white frame, don’t you think?  Since I saved so much money on the above 2 prints, I don’t mind splurging to have this print beautifully matted and framed.  It would be a piece of art I would probably keep and enjoy for a long time.

SPR377

 
Update regarding my crown molding project…the carpenter came Monday and rechecked all his measurements.  (“Measure twice, cut once.”)  He then went to purchase  the moldings, and took them back to his shop to cut the pieces to length and paint them.  He’ll be back on Thursday to start putting them up.  I’m so excited to see this project  completed!

 

10 comments:

Gayle said...

Hi Shari! Look at me, I'm the first to comment!
I love your bathing beauties!
Not everything has to be the aqua color for it to be beachy. The girls put the zing in the room.
:0)
That totally happens to me too, about when you're looking for something, by the time you go to find it, it's nowhere to be seen.
I think "they" plan it that way.
It sounds like you got some deals though and that's always the best part.
I can't WAIT to see the room completed.
Your home is so pretty! It's always a pleasure come by and say hi.
:0)
Gayle

Donna said...

Well, out of curiosity, I went to Ebay and typed in "aqua beach"
I pulled up this pillow that was kinda cute.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NATURAL-SHELL-AQUA-BEACH-SEAHORSE-ACCENT-PILLOW_W0QQitemZ300313796997QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45ec18e185&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
Probably not what you are look for :)
D

Mary said...

HiShari, Oh, I wish you were here! The Home Goods and T.J. Maxx are loaded with classy aqua items, like quilts and towels - so pretty. I've been in there several times in the last two weeks, and every time I see aqua, I think of you're bedroom makeover. If I knew exactly what you wanted, I'd get it for you, but you know Home Goods, if you don't get it NOW, it's GONE! I love your beach babes - red or aqua, they're hot!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

GM Shari...girl I just seen a ton of stuff at my Home Goods on Monday and I thought of you...and what about J,C. Penneys it had alot of beachy things also...and the 10% discount I love to get...and girl I am 65 and don't care as Uncle Sam send me a check every month now YAHOO!! and all have to do is go to the mailbox with my cup of coffee another YAHOO!! May you have a great day my friend...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Anita@Theycallmejammi said...

The bathing beauties are too cute. Love the print of the little girl on the beach ... Precious and I bet will look gorgeous when framed. Retailers change seasons way too early for me...when you get in the 'mood' to do an update or makeover, they have moved on and left you in the dust. Guess that just means we have to go shopping more often...what a dilema. Have fun!

Michele's Treasures, Teacups, and Tumbling Rose Cottage said...

Love the little girl print. Very sweet! Looking forward to how your bathing beauties turn out. I agree..what colors! Keep on hunting for exactly what you like. Everything is out there--it just might take some time to find the perfect things. The hunt can be part of the fun. ; )
~Michele

Lisa said...

Oh i really like what you got! My mom (who will be 60 tomorrow) gets the senior discounts we love dragging her shopping!! Hey if it's cheeper take it!
Hugs, Lisa

Sandy~Romantique Inspirations~ said...

Oh Shari, I appreciated the sweet comment you left on my blog, thank you so much.

Girl, I am the same way when I think about something I'm going to do to decorate its always seems I a little bit late and then the stores don't have it anymore. One example was Targets, they had some lace curtains for a very long time that I liked, but when I decided I wanted to get them. Sorry we no longer carry them any more!

I like the bottom print, is that ever sweet. I'm anxious to see what your going to do with the bathing suit girls. It sounds like your room is going to be so pretty, especially with those colors. Good luck finding those colors.

So what is the starting age for seniors? I'm 52 so I guess I have something to look forward to is that what your saying? tee hee What's that song Time doesn't wait for no one I think that's what its called. My memory is slowly going that's for sure!

Sending a big hug your way-

Mary said...

Thanks so much for the praise, Shari! Blue and white is such a classic and there was a lot of it this week! Like your french country bedroom, it can be used in so many ways, and always make a statement! Take care!

kathi said...

Hi Shari,

I love that little girl poster too.
So sweet! Thanks for your comment on my little dollhouse bed. It's so much easier and faster to make bedding for a tiny bed!

Hope you have a beautiful day!