Sunday, July 19, 2009

Thrifty (?) Finds

Last week, I made a run to Goodwill and came out with a few goodies…although it’s questionable how thrifty they all were. 
My husband is a “paper hoarder.”  He tends to hang on to miscellaneous papers and receipts too long and they often pile up on top of his dresser.  However, if I have some type of storage box nearby, he is pretty good about putting the papers into it, thus eliminating some of the clutter on his dresser. 
When I saw this wicker picnic basket I thought it would work perfectly to hold his papers.  And since I’m in the process of redecorating our bedroom, it fits right in with the new beachy look I’m going for. 
Cost:  $4.00  Not a bad price.

IMG_2300 (CR&E 2)

 

 

I also found this divided wicker tray and thought it would be great to keep on hubby’s dresser to corral the things he empties out of his pockets at the end of the day…his keys, wallet, work and personal cell phones etc. 
It was $3.00, which I thought was a little high.  I recently read where more people are shopping the thrift stores in this economy so it would appear the thrift stores are asking more money for their merchandise
…and getting it.

IMG_2298 (C&E2)

 

I found a couple cups to use as “scoops” in my sugar and flour canisters.   These are stamped “Farberware” on the bottom so that’s probably why they were priced a little higher…$1.00 each…than you would expect for a cup.

IMG_2303 (2) (e2)

 
I saved the best for last! 
Pretty rose dishes!  Very rarely do I ever see dishes like this at my Goodwill so I snatched them up!   I got 2 dessert-sized plates, 2 bread & butter plates, and 2 berry bowls.  No chips, cracks, and the gold rim is in excellent condition so I was surprised these were only 76 cents each!  (What is the rhyme or reason behind Goodwill’s inconsistent pricing?!)

IMG_2309 (R&E2)

 
To see more thrifty finds, stop by the  Today’s Thrifty Treasure’s party, hosted by Rhoda at Southern Hospitality.

SouthernHospThriftyTreasurescopy

 

23 comments:

Rhonda said...

Hi Shari
I love those pink rose dishes!

I wonder too about pricing, not at just GoodWill though. all thrift stores and garage sales seem to have wacky pricing methods - I am really happy when I get stuff at great deals though and I just walk by the too-expensive things.

Shauna said...

I love the dishes!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a great idea to use the baskets to hold all the things these guys take out of their pockets. I totally understand. I love the cute little cups and the dishes are absolutely gorgeous. I do agree, it seems sometime the GW prices are way high and then other times they are quite reasonable. I don't understand either. Hugs, Marty

★Carol★ said...

Great ideas to keep a husband's stuff in order! Love that picnic basket, and the tray too.
I agree with you about the pricing in thrift stores. It kind of bothers me that they get all of these things by donation, so they don't have as big of overhead as regular stores who have to buy their merchandise. Ah well, it could be that I'm just really cheap!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Know what you mean about the prices. You can buy new at Old Time Pottery for the same price as used at some of the thrift stores here.
Glenda

abeachcottage said...

great idea Shari, I have a husband with lots of those things!

ThriftyAnnabella said...

The dishes are great and I agree with you - some of the things you would expect Goodwill to be expensive on they surprise you.

Barbara Jean said...

Great finds.
Especially love those delicate dishes.
blessings,
Barbara Jean

Sue said...

You found some cute things, Shari. The tea cups and the pink plates are my favs. I can't understand why the GW stores overprice items. I wonder if they are on to us thrifters looking for good stuff? LOL Are their prices on clothes as disparate as tbeir home prices? I think stores like GW have lost their focus as to whom they started out helping! Just a thought....

caren said...

Oh, such lovely finds! I never find anything good like this!

Mary said...

Hi Shari, I have the exact same basket! I've had it for 15-20 years - it's amazing that you would find one NOW! Love the tray - that I don't have and wish I did! Try the thrifts that benefit hospitals or kids' groups, as they sometimes have better prices than GW or SA. The rose dishes are beautiful - may I borrow them? LOL!

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

Yep...I've also noticed that the prices ahve gone up @ thrift stores. LOVE those rose dishes!!!!!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Shari, I think our thriftstores are too high also, so I rarely go in there. I can find so many great treasures at our yardsales, so I stick to that. I def. think more people are shopping thrifty places now.

stefanie said...

the dishes are the best, i bet you were happy!!

Carol said...

Shari,
I love the pink rose dishes!! I found entire set (including serving pieces and tea set) of that pattern at an estate sale a few years ago. I keep them displayed in my china cabinet at all times and I just love them.
Hope you stop by and check out our Christmas in July giveaway.
Carol

Carrie said...

Those prices sound about right in my neck of the woods! Good finds!

Kelli said...

Love the things you found! So pretty!

Lisa said...

Our goodwill must get shopped alot because it never has great stuff or great prices!! I just love seeing what everyone else gets! I have a stack of those baskets my mother and grandmother had them and so I got a set!
Enjoy your redo!
Hugs, Lisa

Anonymous said...

Shari,
Love your finds. Never thought of using the china cups for scoops. Love it!!! Great excuse to get out to my Goodwill. I agree with the prices. The hubby and I checked out the Salvation Army and about fell over when we saw what they were asking. The plates are beautiful.
Jill@cottagesisters

Nancy Rosalina said...

Oh, those are some great finds...I love the baskets and I bet they will hold alot of papers...I know that feeling..lol ;)

Stop by and enter a giveaway I'm doing this week!

Hope to see you Friday at the Shoe Show!

Nancy

Cindy said...

Great finds! I think those are good prices, they would be here in Canada anyway. I like your idea of the baskets for hubbies junk. I found a bowl for my hubbies and it is full to overflowing all of the time, maybe I need a big basket this time. Hugs ~cindy s~ PS Stop over at my blog and take a look at my painted table and chairs. You will be proud of me!

Nicole A. said...

I love those dishes, soo pretty and that picnic basket is awesome!! Great finds!! I too will never understand Goodwills pricing! Love them though!

Helen Joy said...

I always wonder who prices stuff. For the most part, I think thrift stores are WAY overpriced. I mean, how long do those ugly 1980s dress for $8 hang there? I do love to find when someone prices low on something good:-) I love those two baskets. My husband has a really bad paper problem. When I married him and got back from the honeymoon, his dad dropped by 8 garbage bags of unfiled papers!!!!!!!!